Sunday, October 14, 2012

Port #8: Canary Islands

We visited the Canary Islands for two days.  For me, day one was spent on the ship.  I was on duty and was expected to respond to any emergency or non-emergency situations that might arise.  Nothing did during the day.  At night, there were several intoxication situations bit nothing out of the ordinary. 

On the second day, I co-led (with my supervisor and the Dean of Students, Lisa Slavid) a four-hour leadership retreat.  The of us participated in the reflective experience that was one of my highlights this far on the journey.  We began with some ice-breakers / team-builders to get to know one another.  From there, I shared a bit about the history of leadership as a field of study, where we are at now, and where the edge is expanding to.  At that point, we paired up and walked (twenty minutes or so) to a square in the heart of town.  In those dyads we expressed the ways in which our values impacted our leadership.  Once we arrived at the square, we carved out time for private reflection. We concluded with a whole-group dialogue and closing exercise before going our separate ways.
The Leadership Retreat Group

After the retreat, I took a taxi to a beach that locals tend to visit (rather than tourists).  The water and the black volcanic sand were incredible.  The time spent on the beach was exactly what I needed to leave Europe and head to Africa.


No comments:

Post a Comment