Sunday, September 23, 2012

Port #6: Lisboa, Portugal


My experience in Lisbon unfolded in an unexpected yet deeply gratifying way.  I was offered a job interview which was to take place via skype.  In order to facilitate that, I would need a hotel or another space that had a stable internet connection – the ship’s internet would not work.  After researching hotel prices and locations, I decided to pursue AirBnB.  A very wise decision on my part.  AirBnB connects people with apartments, extra bedrooms, or spare couches with those who are looking for a place to stay – typically much cheaper than a hotel.  I found a tremendous spot, a yoga studio, in the heart of Lisbon.  It was the right type of place for the interview and to crash for a night.  The interview took place on the second day. 

The first day was a duty day.  I was required to stay on the ship and be available for whatever emergency and non-emergency situations might emerge.  Because of some miscommunication, I stepped in to provide a tour for representatives from the Fulbright Portugal office.  It was a two-hour experience that went off without a hitch.

That night was a busy night, to say the least.  Many students decided to drink to intoxication and return to the ship at all hours of the night and morning.  That resulted in no more than three hours spent sleeping. For me  My time awake resulted in responding to the inebriated.  With limited hours of sleep, my shift ended at 8am and I headed into the city to get situated in the rented apartment and prepare for the afternoon interview.

Following the questions and answers, I headed back out into the city.  I ventured out to the University of Lisbon to check-out the campus and to connect with my new friends – two of the Fulbright staff members whose office was located at the university.  We spent the evening with beers and conversations chatting about the difference between the USA and Portugal.  It was time well spent.  Engaging conversation to say the least.  I am hopeful.  Young professionals from across the globe are engaged in deep and meaningful work and yearn to challenge the way things currently operate. 

I departed the conversation with filled with inspiration and ventured to the Alfama neighborhood- just below the Castle of St. Jorge.  It is within this old part of the city that the alleys narrow, and every turn leads you through a magical up or downhill corridor.  I ate tapas at a fantastic little restaurant before walking for hours on end through the streets – new and old – before heading back to the apartment.

The last day in Lisbon was spent doing the same – walking through the streets and exploring the sights.  From park to alley and alley to park until meeting back on the ship for our evening departure.  And now I am in Cadiz, Espana.          

View into the restaurant
View out of the restaurant


Tapas dinner
The absolute best apple pie i've ever had...



No comments:

Post a Comment